Is a winter basement remodel on your home renovation to-do list? This unfinished space can be a great addition to your functional living area. It’s easy to let the remodeling project fall to the bottom of your priorities.
The truth is that the winter months are the best time to put time and effort into a basement renovation. A winter basement remodel transforms unused space into additional bedrooms, bathrooms, and common rooms to gather with the family. Whether you want to build out a fun play space or the basement area will be used for a man cave, make sure your design matches your desired use of the basement.
Our team at Tandem Contracting is here to help with everything you need to upgrade your home. We offer full-service solutions to give you the dream home you’ve always wanted.
Why Remodel Your Basement in Winter?
When you consider the work that goes into a winter basement remodel, you might be wondering why this time of year is optimal for the project. Most people don’t think about winter as the optimal time for home projects. It’s common for families to hunker down in the winter. People are focused on school and work, then pull out their home to-do list when spring rolls around. While spring and summer offer the perfect weather for exterior renovations, there’s no need to wait until the warmer months when you are working on interior remodeling.
When the cold air rolls in, rest assured, knowing that there’s no better season for home restorations. Work on your unfinished basement right now so you can enjoy the benefits of extra living space throughout the year. Keep reading to see why winter is an optimal time for a winter basement remodel.
Even if you have a finished basement, do you avoid going down there in the winter because of the temperature? Cold basements can be uncomfortable, making the space less than optimal during this time of year. A few small renovations can go a long way to make the basements warmer and more functional all year long.
Timing is Everything
When the weather is cold and windy outside, it’s the perfect time to turn your attention to indoor projects. Plus, you can make sure that your home has all of the essential features to keep your family warm and comfortable through the season. During this renovation, our team can look at energy efficiency features, such as the effectiveness of your HVAC system and options to improve insulation.
Another timing piece is the function of your home through the holiday season. When you are working on interior home renovations, be careful to avoid projects that might disrupt your family traditions. An unfinished basement is often an unused space in the home, which means that you can have contractors working in the area without disruption to your kitchen.
How Much Do Finished Basements Cost?
Did you know that construction and renovation costs vary depending on the time of year? When a contractor is overbooked, then it’s likely that the proposal will come in a little higher because of the limited time available. On the other hand, contractors are able to offer more competitive prices during the slower months because they are looking for ways to fill their schedules.
Materials access can also be more cost-effective during the slower winter months. When the busy season is in full swing, there are often long waiting lists for custom materials. Accessing these materials in the spring and summer might cost a premium because of the demand. It’s easier to protect your budget and avoid delays by working on a winter basement remodel.
The actual cost of your finished basement varies depending on the specific details of the project. Here are some of the factors that will affect the price that you pay for these services:
- Size of the Basement: It’s evident that larger basements cost more money to renovate compared to smaller areas. When a contractor comes to your home for the consultation and estimate, they will measure the space and finalize the floorplan.
- Finishes: Additionally, you need to discuss finishing details, such as the flooring, paint, and other features that will be installed. Some of the projects, such as vinyl flooring or carpet, are priced per square foot. Consider the pricing of different materials and finishes to see how much more you will spend on high-end products instead of basic solutions. These decisions often vary depending on the way the space will be used. For example, if your winter basement remodel is focused on renovations for a mother-in-law rental, then it’s common to put in cheaper carpet.
- Structural Changes: Remodeling an unfinished basement usually doesn’t require structural changes. But if you decide to change an existing basement, then you might need to spend a little more on the structural requirements for the new design.
- Specialty Work: When plumbing and electrical work needs to be installed, it will increase the project’s overall cost. Your contractor will talk to you about particular circumstances and other challenges that might need to be addressed before construction starts.
- Personalization: Are there any upgraded features that you want to install to improve the comfort of your basement? One luxury choice is installing heated floors with radiant heating under the flooring as an alternative to a traditional HVAC system. Winter basement remodel creates a living space that your family will love, with all the custom details that fit your desired lifestyle.
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for every winter basement remodel. If you are wondering about the cost of the project, then the best solution is to talk to a contractor for an estimate. At Tandem Contracting, we provide transparency in our pricing. You can speak to us about your desires. Then we’ll custom-design the project to fit your unique needs. We always work hard to dial in an accurate estimate before the construction begins, so you know the anticipated cost of the work from the start.
Other Projects That are Good for Winter
Outdoor renovation projects are hard to manage when the weather is cold, and the snow is flying. If you want to improve your home this winter, then you might consider other indoor renovations that will enhance your lifestyle. You can’t work on roofing, landscaping, or installing a new patio. But there are plenty of ways that you can invest in indoor areas of your home.
Here are some of the other projects that you can invest in during the winter months:
- Kitchen: Improve an outdated kitchen by hiring a renovation team to help. Kitchen remodeling can be as simple as resurfacing the cabinets or as in-depth as full demolition and a complete rebuild. One of the benefits of kitchen remodeling in the winter is the fast turnaround time, helping to minimize the disruption to your family’s lifestyle.
- Bathroom: Another great indoor project for the winter is improving the quality and appearance of the bathrooms. These dark, musty spaces can be freshened with new tile, an upgraded shower, better lighting, and all the modern features that make your bathroom shine.
- Painting: Marks and scuffs on the walls can take a toll on the overall appearance of each room. Whether you want to bring in a new style in your home or fix the wear and tear, a fresh coat of paint might be the right answer. Repainting the interior of your home gives the whole space a facelift. Many homeowners feel like a new paint color creates a fresh foundation for redesigning their interior décor.
- Spray Foam: Insulation is an essential feature in the winter. When your home is poorly insulated, then it means that you are over-spending on utility costs. The drafty building brings in the cold air from outside, which runs up the utilities since the HVAC system needs to overwork. Talk to us about solutions for adding spray foam, which will improve the overall efficiency of your home. Not only can spray foam help in the winter, but it can also have a positive impact on your utilities in the summer.
- Flooring: Stained, outdated carpets can drag down the appearance of your home. Consider upgrading to vinyl plank flooring or new carpets to improve your living space. The combination of fresh paint and new flooring can have a noticeable impact on the quality of your property.
As you consider the possibilities for a winter basement remodel or other home renovation projects, think about the immediate and future benefits available. Your family will enjoy this upgraded living space right away. It’s worth the investment to ensure that your loved ones are comfortable and happy at home.
Additionally, a winter basement remodel can boost the overall value of your property. Even if you don’t want to sell the home right away, these renovations can increase potential equity in the future. When you decide that it’s time to move, you’ll be glad that you invested in new features that added to the price you will receive for the property. Consider talking to a contractor and a real estate agent to identify the best investments for your area.
Basement Remodeling Contractors in NJ
There’s no question that a winter basement remodel will have a positive impact on your lifestyle and family. Some people decide that a DIY approach is the right solution, but the project ends up being time-consuming. Even though you can find basement renovation tips online, nothing beats the professional services you can receive from a local contractor.
The truth is that DIY basement renovations often take more time and money than homeowners are anticipating. When you only have the evenings and weekends to work on the project, it can drag on for weeks or months. A better solution is to hire a contractor who offers winter basement remodel. Bringing in a pro team gives you the benefit of completing the project as quickly and efficiently as possible.
At Tandem Contracting, we offer more than basement renovations. Our team provides a full range of both interior and exterior renovation solutions. We invite you to reach out to talk to us about the possibilities for your winter basement remodel. We’ll learn about your preferences during this consultation, then offer personalized recommendations that will create the ideal design for your needs.
Tandem Contracting is one of the leading providers of winter basement remodel. We take pride in our work and always focus on the satisfaction of our customers. If you want to improve your basement this winter, then we invite you to contact us right away.